COVID 19 New Rules

9th November

How are cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars able to operate safely indoors?

The experience of going to pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes will inevitably be quite different to before the outbreak of coronavirus. Venues, and especially those which serve alcohol, will be required to put a number of measures in place to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus. For example:

  • in most places you will probably be required to pre-book with details of all members of the group
  • entry to the premises will be controlled
  • premises serving alcohol, such as pubs, will be providing table service only
  • all food and drink should be consumed at tables
  • physical distancing measures will be applied, such as tables being spaced out
  • limit to groups of up to 4 people (not including any children aged under 11 ) unless they are from a single household
  • face coverings must be worn other than when seated to eat or drink
  • you will be asked to give contact details for purposes of tracing people in the event of an outbreak being linked to the venue, and
  • there will be no live music and TV broadcasts will be kept at low volume

Who can I go to cafes, restaurants, pubs or bars with?

You are allowed to go to these venues with people outside your household, as long as you maintain physical distancing from them and the size of the group does not exceed 4 people (not including any children aged under 11 or a carer of a member of the group).

If all the people attending live together, the size of the group is not limited to 4.

However, as with all other venues, we are asking people to think about what is the most sensible thing for you to do to protect your family, friends and your community, rather than thinking primarily about what you are allowed to do. In particular, we ask you to

  • please try and be restrained in how many different people you see. It is better to see the same one or two people regularly than to see lots of different people occasionally
  • please maintain social distancing, including outdoors
  • please meet people outdoors rather than indoors where possible
  • avoid doing activities that might increase the risk of transmission (for example shouting to be heard over loud music, or singing in close proximity)

Will I be asked to provide proof of my contact details?

If you are booking as a group of up to 4 people (excluding any children aged under 11), you will be asked to provide verification of your name through, for example, a driver’s licence, bank or credit card. If you are booking as a private household group of over 4 people (not including any children aged under 11), premises will also be required to ask adults within the group to provide proof of address.

Do I need to wear a face covering in cafes, restaurants, pubs or bars?

Yes. Face coverings must be worn unless there is a reasonable excuse to remove it, such as to eat or drink. Please see our guidance on face coverings for details of other reasonable excuses.

Are there limits on when I can buy alcohol?

Yes. Alcohol cannot be sold between 10pm and 6am.

Hospitality businesses in Wales – such as pubs, cafes, restaurants, sports clubs and casinos – will have to stop selling alcohol at 10pm. Places selling alcohol to drink on the premises will also have to provide table service only.

All places licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises will need to close by 10.20pm. Premises not licensed to sell alcohol do not need to close by 10.20pm.

Licenced premises can offer take-away services beyond this time as long as this does not include sale or delivery of alcohol after 10pm.

Off-licenses, including supermarkets, will also have to stop selling alcohol at 10pm. This also applies to deliveries of alcohol, such as through a home delivery app.

Licensed premises and off-licenses cannot begin to sell alcohol again until 6am the next day.

Can I still get a drink in a restaurant after 10pm?

No – any restaurant which is licensed to sell alcoholic drinks will be required to stop selling alcohol at 10pm and close by 10.20pm.

Can I still stand at the bar of a pub or bar and have a drink?

No. All hospitality businesses in Wales which sell alcohol – including pubs, cafes, restaurants and casinos – will have to provide table service only.

Can I still order room service at a hotel after 10pm?

Yes, but you cannot be served alcohol.

Collecting contact information

What businesses are required to collect contact information from visitors?

Any businesses operating in high risk settings are required to collect contact information. High risk settings include where customers and visitors will spend a long time on the premises, and/or potentially come into close contact with people outside of their household (or extended household if they have formed one).

Examples of high risk settings that we would expect to collect and retain contact information include:

  • hospitality, including pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes
  • cinemas
  • close contact services including hairdressers, barbers, beauticians, tattooists, sports and massage therapists
  • swimming pools, indoor fitness studios, gyms, spas or other indoor leisure centres or facilities
  • bingo halls
  • casinos

Why are businesses being required to collect this information?

Collecting contact information helps to identify people who may have been exposed to the virus and are asymptomatic (i.e. are not yet displaying symptoms). Containing outbreaks is crucial to reducing the spread of coronavirus, protecting the NHS in Wales and saving lives. This will support the country in returning to, and maintaining, a more normal way of life.

What information will be collected from me?

The legal requirement is to collect the person’s name and information sufficient to enable the person to be contacted, to inform them that they may have been exposed to coronavirus at the premises (including a telephone number and the date and time at which the person was at the premises).

How do I know my personal data is safe and won’t be passed on without my wishes?

The General Data Protection Regulation places legal obligations on businesses handling your personal data, and guidance has also been provided to organisations collecting the data which draws on the work of the Information Commissioner’s Office.

For example, where the information would not otherwise have been collected and retained, your contact information must be securely disposed of or deleted after 21 days. Secure disposal means shredding paper documents instead of disposing in public bins, and ensuring permanent deletion of electronic files.

What happens if I don’t want to give my details?

If the venue you are trying to access is under a duty to collect your details and you are not willing to share them, you will not be allowed on the premises.